Kashmiri pulao is a sweet, mild and aromatic delicacy from the beautiful state of Kashmir. This is extremely easy to make and is a bit on the sweeter side since it is garnished with both fresh and dry fruits.
A wide variety of fresh fruits like apple, pomegranate and pineapple can be used for garnishing the pulao. However, before you add any fruit to the pulao consider what will be served along with it, for instance, if you are going for a sweet raita like mango raita or pineapple raita then adding fruit to the pulao will only accentuate the taste of this delicacy. Furthermore, make sure that the pieces of the fresh fruit used are not very big. The recipe for this delicacy has been mentioned below.
For the Pulao:
- 2 cups of rice
- Cinnamon, 1inch stick
- Caraway seeds, 1tsp
- Indian bay leaf, 1
- Cloves, 3
- Green cardamoms, 2-3
- Black cardamoms, 2
- Dry ginger powder, ½tsp
- Fennel powder, 1tsp
- Saffron, 2pinches
- Ghee, 2tbsp
- Water, 4 – 4¼cup
- Salt as required
- In a deep pan heat the ghee on medium flame and add the whole spices.
- Fry them until oil gets fragrant, now lower the flame and adds fennel powder and ginger.
- Add the rice (soaked earlier) and stir.
- Add crushed saffron.
- Sauté for a minute and add salt and water, gently stir and tightly cover the pan.
- As the rice is getting cooked, you can now prepare the garnish.
- In a frying pan, heat two tbsp. of oil and add sliced onions along with a pinch of salt.
- Now cook the onions until they turn light golden in color and turn crisp.
- Remove the onions from the pan and drain the oil on a tissue.
- In the same pan, now fry the dry fruits until they turn crisp and remove them on a tissue.
- Cook the rice until it absorbs all the water.
- Once cooked to fluff the rice and put them in a serving bowl.
- Now garnish it with fried cashew, almonds, and onions
- Serve hot.
Enjoy the mouth-watering royal Kashmiri pulao.